Thursday, September 23, 2010

#'s 21 and 22...end stretch...

I finished 'The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen' by Syrie James and 'QBVII' by Leon Uris almost simultaneously. What I found staggering was how different these books were and yet how similar in what they highlighted about human nature and the human condition. What do I mean by this? Both books involved the fragility and strength of humans, their capacity for greatness and horror, and the result of such. Ms. James novel was just beautiful. I don't know how much was true to Jane Austen's story, but I love to believe most of it was. The sadness of her failure in love was absolutely heartbreaking, but her selfless sacrifice made it all the more romantic and tragic. I absolutely relished in her independent and strong spirit at a time when women were not celebrated or renowned for such traits. The characters were all at once colorful and interesting and I was riveted until the very last page. What I found most apropos was the entire idea of the 'young spinster', as I struggle with those feelings and concepts today, in 2010. I tried to imagine what it would be like for Ms. Austen to encounter such a situation as a bright, vivacious, talented woman, during a time when single hood was very much frowned upon. I sadly cannot say much has changed. I would urge any person with a romantic spirit to read this charming book, as the possibly speculative nature does not at all detract from its undeniable lure and keen sense of wit.
'QBVII' is a four part novel highlighting a libel trial involving the accusation of medical torture and experimentation during the height of WWII and Nazism. I cannot say I was surprised by the power of this book, as Mr. Uris has always been able to captivate me with his way with words. I didn't know until after I finished reading this tale that it is loosely based on the author's own experience with libel accusations with regard to one of my favorite books of all time, 'Exodus'. This book brings to light the old question of when someone is following orders, do they then bear the weight of less responsibility for their actions? Not unlike 'Hunting Eichmann', I found myself unable to conjure up any compassion for this Nazi doctor or any of his compatriots, nor could I align myself with their calm rationale for such monstrous and horrifying behavior. I don't believe its because I am Jewish, or even because I am a woman, but merely because I am a human being. I will not disclose the powerful ending as I believe it truly rounds out this fabulous book, but I will say that the judge passes down a ruling infinitely more powerful than those imagined by me when eagerly reading through each page. Although this book was a work of fiction, I know that these events occurred [with different participants] and almost 70 years later I am blown away, and reminded why we cannot even forget human suffering, whether in this country or around the world. When we let something occur of this magnitude, no matter how far from our borders, we condone this behavior and I do and will always believe it is absolutely unacceptable. We must modify our meddling and the way in which we get involved, but I think we should never forsake each other. Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment