Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Oh Melissa Bank...how I heart you...

I just finished 'The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing' by Melissa Bank. After I completed 'The Wonder Spot' and raved about it to no end; it was recommended that I read Ms. Bank's first foray into writing. Oh and what a wonderful recommendation it was. I loved every second. Not only did the short story format make the book entirely user friendly (I could finish an entire tale in a short bit of time) but each of the stories was totally charming. She has a dry sense of humor that once again had me laughing out loud, and the keen ability to present relationships and human interaction in the most raw, realistic fashion I've ever read. Jane Rosenal, the main character, was all at once sympathetic and infuriating, in her susceptibility to flights of fancy and interesting take on the world. I found myself nodding while reading about her relationships, remembering full well the personal exploration into a world of uncertainty, jealously, and undying love and devotion. The relationship she has with her family is strangely kitchy and totally enviable. Ms. Bank has quite the talent and I can only hope she will attempt another novel in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment