Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And I thought my family was screwed up...

I just finished 'Aloft' by Chang-Rae Lee. I am certainly not the biggest fan of this tale, but some of the messages really spoke to me. Jerry Battle, an almost 60 year old widower and father of two, buys a small airplane because "From up here, a half mile above the Earth, everything looks perfect to me." This is quite the foreboding statement, as Jerry is about to have his clean existence shaken up. And we all know that this is how life works. Whenever the waters seem smooth sailing, a higher power jumps in to prove that when we plan, g-d laughs. And as with Jerry Battle's journey, it is only when we emerge through these challenging times that we are able to better appreciate the sweetness of the calm after the storm. This book touches on a little bit of everything that as humans makes us hurt and brings us joy...such as love, friendship, aging, illness, pride, work and romance. Jerry's awkward but powerful honesty when it comes to his relationships is at once relatable and hilarious. Some of the story is mildly far fetched but the characters are colorful and raw; creating a diverse and enjoyable palate. I must admit that I also enjoyed the vivid descriptions of various Long Island spots; as a native Long Islander. Perhaps not four stars, but certainly an enjoyable read. Up next...'The Magus'...

No comments:

Post a Comment